In 1942 two gentlemen by the names of Pat Ryan and Ned McNulty ran a small sawmill for Pat's brother who passed away. In 1952 the demands for more land from the Terrett's Group forced the partnership to purchase land so they could continue their operations.
The site of 123 Sydney Road, Benalla was to be the new home for Ryan & McNulty Sawmilling. Pat Ryan was from a farming background whilst Ned McNulty was from a sawmilling background, and so the partnership began with farming and sawmilling sectors.
In 1963 the partnership of Pat and Ned was agreed to separate, Pat Ryan taking on the farming business and Ned McNulty continuing the sawmilling operations. Expanding the sawmilling operations, Ned introduced his son Des to the sawmill in 1978. Prior to this Des had his own successful logging and falling business from which he supplied his father. Selling his dozers and trucks, Des bought the sawmilling operations.
The now single owner, Des kept the sawmill running and growing, and in 1982 Des asked his son Greg to become a partner in the business. Greg prior to becoming a partner in the business worked for his father Des as a benchman from 1978, and by all accounts, was one of the best in the industry.
To this day, the name, Ryan & McNulty, is respected for the history it has. It's a respectful act Des and Greg have towards the people in their past who have helped them become what they are today.
Ryan & McNulty have been a successful business, supporting the local community since they began. Des and Greg's passion for the local community is received by many sporting clubs, charities and other not for profit organisations.